The many reasons recumbent cycles are preferred over traditional uprights include the following:
- Spreading your body weight over a much larger area than on a conventional bike explains “recumbent comfort”.
- A much more comfortable seat means less back, neck, shoulder, and posterior pain compared to a conventional bike.
- No wrist pain from bearing your weight.
- Smaller frontal area means better aerodynamics which have allowed recumbents to set every bicycle speed record.
- The heads up position lets you enjoy the scenery instead of the grit on the road.
- In the event of an accident, there is a shorter distance to fall and the rider will fall feet first instead of head first.
- The high seat back allows you to leverage more pedal power by pushing with your back against the seat. Human power is maximized under these conditions.
- The feet up position is more physiologically efficient because the body can circulate blood more effectively, providing more oxygen to the muscles.
- They are virtually impossible to flip forward (endo).
Why ride trikes?
We prefer trikes because they have all of the recumbent advantages mentioned above plus the following three-wheeled benefits:
- Stability – loose gravel, sand, ice, tire blowouts, etc. will not send a trike crashing to the ground.
- Ride during the winter – hitting a patch of ice is fun on a trike.
- Do you have trouble balancing? No problem with a trike.
- No need to drop a foot off the pedal in tight turns to protect against wipeouts
- Leaning into the turns makes cornering on a trike fun. They handle like a sports car or go-cart – you can even brake-steer on a TerraTrike.
- Pull up to a stop and never put your foot down on the road
- No wasted energy balancing the trike on those slow steep climbs – this is the reason that trikes are better climbers than two-wheeled recumbents.
- More respect from motorists, they slow down and give you a wider berth when passing – primarily out of sheer curiosity.
- Easier to track a straight line on the side of a road – no need for wobble room during a steep climb in traffic.
- No need for a kickstand or leaning post.
- Less road friction/tire scrub from a rider’s side-to-side balance shift (wobble).
- Instant celebrity status – you may be the first person in your neighborhood with a trike – people will know who you are.
- Great platform for attaching fairings and accessories.
Why ride TerraTrikes?
Our TerraTrikes have all of the recumbent advantages and trike advantages mentioned above plus the following benefits:
- Clean, simple, sporty designs.
- All kinds of built-in adjustability without the need to alter the chain length on most occasions.
- Custom slung mesh seat with recline and forward/back adjustments.
- 3 to 27-speed drive-trains with wide gear ranges.
- Schlumpf speed drive option for you gear fanatics.
- Ackerman and center point steering geometry for high speed stability
- Fine component packages.
- Less weight to push around than most other trikes.
- The low center of gravity makes you feel like you’re driving a Ferrari.
- Under-seat steering hand position means no more aching wrists and arms.
- All three wheels are the same size – no need to carry two sizes of spare tubes and tires.
- Wide range of accessories.
- Top notch TIG welding quality.
- Green solution to fuel free transportation (Why pay high gas prices?)
- American company. TerraTrikes are developed, assembled and shipped in Kentwood, Michigan, USA.
- TerraTrike is an established, proven company that has been in the business of making trikes since 1996. We love it and we’re not going away.
- Personalized customer service.
- You speak to an actual human when you call us.
- You can speak directly with the manufacturer and order from us or through a dealer.
- Lifetime warranty. We are very responsive, easy to talk to, and we stand behind our products.
- The price is hard to match and the value can’t be beat. You can explain to your spouse how much money you are “SAVING” by buying a TerraTrike.
- Lowest shipping and handling charge in the industry. We can ship fully assembled trikes to your house.
- Mail ordering directly from us means no Michigan sales tax if we’re shipping outside of our state.
- 30 day risk free test ride on your roads and trails.
- Cheaper than gas.
The Fringe Benefits
- Cool, Fun and Green!
- Great conversation piece.
- Be a part of “our club”.
- Environmentally green.
- It turns the head of everyone you pass.
- When you pass a “bike guy” on a racing bike, you can see how annoyed he is that he spent more money and is enjoying it less.
- All your friends will want to try it out (and everyone else too).
- Endorsed by the Michigan Association of Chiropractors.
- How many things do you own that are just plain COOL?